European Project LIFE12 ENV/IT/000652 CLEANSED 1/10/2013-31/3/2016
"Innovative integrated methodology for the use of decontaminated river sediments in plant nursing and road building"
The CLEANSED project will demonstrate, evaluate and disseminate an innovative, integrated, multisector approach for the smart and sustainable management of polluted dredged river sediments. Polluted sediments will be dredged, transformed from a contaminated waste into a valuable material via a specific decontamination treatment, and then put to productive use in two different sectors:
- Plant nursing: decontaminated sediments will be used as agronomic substrate for the cultivation of ornamental plants with different saline stress tolerances to prevent the loss of soil and biomass due to plant nursing activities
- road construction: decontaminated sediments will be used as a filling material for the construction of a 100m long road under real working conditions
The whole cycle will take place within a real natural and productive district, i.e. the basin and alluvial plains of the Arno river , Italy.
Role of CNR:
ISE CNR will coordinate the CLEANSED consortium, take care of sediment characterization and treatment and take part in the setup of the demonstration fields.
- ISE CNR: Institute of Ecosystem Study of the National Research Council, Pisa, Italy (Coordinator)
- CEBAS-CSIC: Consejo Superior De Investigaciones Científicas–Centro de Edafología y Biología Aplicada del Segura, Murcia, Spain
- DICI: Department of Civil Engineering, University of Pisa
- IBIMET: Istitute of Biometeorology of the National Research Council, Firenze, Italy
- NAVI: Navicelli S.p.a. Pisa
- UNIFI: Department of Plant, Soil and Environmental Sciences, University of Firenze, Italy
Total budget : 1.655.370 Euro
EU Contribution: 827.683 Euro